Dec 16, 2008
Some Slack
So I got a little slack concerning the family mission statment. A few years ago I read the book, '7 Habits of Highly Effective Familys'. The author Stephen Covey explained how a mission statement gives the family a vision of what they unite on and what to work towards as a family.
I had already developed my personal mission statement and decided to use the example in the book as a foundation. I built it up by including statements that were personal. As I began to go threw the process I re-examined my motives, attitudes, and behaviors and realy evaluated how they affected Dillons life. Creating the family mission statement helped motivate me to define myself as a mother and the kind of household I wanted to provide.
The book suggests that you include your children in the creative process to give them a sense of ownership and pride in what there family means to them. Dillon was only four years old when I developed the Pratt Family Mission Statement. Often I would give my little speachs about how Mommy needs you're help and "we need to stick together on the same team". Dillon started replying with cute stuff like, "Mom, whos team are you on?" When something didnt go the way he wanted or if he didnt get what he wanted, then he'd manipulatively say,"we're suppost to be on the same team". So Dillon coined the phrase, "We are on the same team", it was his contribution.
The dynamic of our family has changed. Now I have Mike's support and he has realy glued our family together. He is ferociously protective of us and always puts us first. He is an even better father than I expected, and I fully expected him to be great at it. He has provided me with the love and certainty that I needed in my life. He is my best friend and the first person I go to with any kind of news (good or bad). He encourages me in every positive way, and sometimes steers me away from the negative. I feel like Im a better person when Im with him. Being with Mike brings out the best in me. Mike helps me raise our children and he truly is my partner in life. He helps me through crisis like vomiting, sickness and fears. He puts up with my odd behaviors and loves me despite them.
Our family mission statement defines what it is we want to accomplish as a family. This is our vision. We share it. We have a unique purpose for being together and our mission statement is a compass that reminds us what our vision is. We love and suppport eachother and we ARE on the same team.







